Saturday, June 30, 2012

Beef. It's not what's for dinner.

At least not nearly as often anymore. Mike had an incident with some fast food burgers that didn't taste "right" to him. They were cooked, but just didn't taste right. Turned him off of beef. Mainly ground beef. The economical staple of the majority of North American homes. Especially ours. So much so that I buy it at Costco in 5 lb packages of lean ground, split it in 4's and freeze it for the next two weeks. At least I used to.

The kids and I stopped for lunch when we went to the passport office the other day to drop off Mike's application for a renewal. They love a certain restaurant with a crown more than the golden arches themselves. Lo and behold, there was one. They each got a cheeseburger kids' meal and I had their renowned burger with cheese. And then halfway through lunch, Carson picked off his bun. The burger was pink. Looking like day old roast beef, pink. On the outside. Not just a little pink on the inside, but pink on the outside. My mind panicked a little without letting the kids see. All I could think was "e-coli" and "salmonella". I checked Cole's. Same thing. I'd already finished mine, so no idea there. I took the kids' burgers back up to the counter, where they offered to make me new ones. No. Absolutely not. I'd like my money back now. And I'd like to speak to the manager. The manager seemed totally unaffected by this, and gave me back my money for the burgers alone, not the rest of the meals we were abandoning.

I'm totally grossed out. Disgusted. And turned off beef myself. I shouldn't lump all beef together. Can I see us enjoying a good steak on the BBQ this summer? Yes. A prime rib roast during the winter? Absolutely. A ground beef casserole for dinner next week? Absolutely not. I'm sorry, but that's all it took. It's much healthier in the long run. We've come to really enjoy ground turkey, even before all this. We'll switch to that. Sure, it's more expensive. Some recipes don't taste right with it to us, though. Like Sloppy Joes. Oh well, we'll live, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment