Saturday, August 28, 2010

Summer


It's almost over. And it was lazy, busy, hot, and went by too fast. Carson made it difficult to do things like go to the pool for the afternoon. I'd like to keep both my kids from drowning, thanks. Even going outside to play proved difficult some days. I feel so badly for Cole, because really his summer sucked. At least in my eyes. But he doesn't have a standard to hold it up to. That eases some of the mommy guilt in my mind.

I'm starting to really see the fruits of my labor in the garden. My tomato plant is heavy with tomatoes right now. Same with the pepper plant. The second cucumber is really coming along, and we ate homegrown roasted carrots last night with dinner. Speaking of dinner, we had this. We've got a busy fall coming up, so I'm debuting new crockpot recipes that don't call for "2 cans of cream of____". Not that there's anything totally wrong with it, I'd just like lower fat (ok, 2/3 cup melted butter is not that low fat), lower sodium, feed my family healthier options. It was a buttery sweet chicken that everyone enjoyed. And I'm down to one box of Reynold's Slow Cooker Liners. Canada really needs to get on board with those. Or I need to haul myself across the line to Target for more. I miss Target. But both boys, the border and ugh. But Mike needs new socks, so I might just have to suck it up and go. Why doesn't Canada have any men's black sport socks in a 13-15? I can get them in a 6-pack at Target for $12 though. Go figure.

Back to the garden. I have this issue. It's my pumpkins. I planted three seeds. One took. And it's taking over the backyard. No word of a lie. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as pinching flowers, etc, so it will be interesting to see how many we end up with.

Oooh, bell peppers.

Romas. Next year I'll have to plant some cilantro and jalapenos, as well for pico de gallo



We went camping for the first time. We did have an RV. We now have rules for camping, though.

  1. It must always involve an RV.
  2. No more than 2 nights.
  3. And, it must be within a 3 hour drive.

We went for 5 nights. Probably a little ambitious with two kids, 2 and under. And really, we only stayed four nights. The last day we got hit with a storm after 2 other nights of rain, gave up, packed up in less than an hour and began the 8 HOUR drive home. To be fair though, we were already pretty much there for my cousin's wedding. But pulling out at 5pm to start an 8 hour drive is insane. We did do some fun things though like go to the Revelstoke Railway Museum and the Revelstoke Dam. Cole got to squish bugs, and was fascinated by the whole build a fire process.

Next up, fall. I love fall. I love the colours and the warmth. I'm itching to get out the fall decor. It's still August though. I can wait. I'm giving myself until school is at least back.

No comments:

Post a Comment